The Extended Screen Production Recovery Fund supports selected NZFC funded and NZSPG-New Zealand productions who were impacted by a COVID-19 Event from 3 December 2021
On 27 January 2023, Manatū Taonga Ministry for Culture and Heritage announced the extension of the Screen Production Recovery Fund from 31 January to 30 June 2023. We are currently working on updating the Fund Guidelines and application portal.
What we fund
Applications will be considered for New Zealand based screen productions that want funding to cover New Zealand-based losses due to a COVID-19 Event that occurred on or after 3 December 2021.
For the purposes of the Fund, a COVID-19 Event for dates between 3 December 2021 and 12am, 12 September 2022 means:
- Any delay or disruption to the project caused by restrictions under the COVID 19 Protection Framework.
- Any delay and/or disruption to the production caused by cast or crew members testing positive for COVID-19 or prior to 12 September 2022 identifying as a close or household contact of someone with COVID-19 and therefore having to go into isolation.
A COVID-19 Event from 13 September 2022 onwards means:
- Any delay or disruption to the project caused by restrictions due to cast or crew members testing positive for COVID-19.
- Any delay or disruption to the project caused by a government mandated restriction related to COVID-19.
As the industry has adjusted to filming within the revised protocols and practices associated with mounting a production in a COVID-19 environment, applicants can now only apply for additional costs that are explicitly attributable to a COVID-19 Event during pre-production, production or post-production.
Funding offered to a production will be capped at 10% of the original production budget ‘Below The Line’ total. Short films are excluded from the 10% funding cap; funding offered to short films will be capped at $15,000 per project.
Who can apply
To be eligible to apply for funding, productions must:
- be a New Zealand based screen production;
- have incurred additional costs due to a COVID-19 Event between 3 December 2021 and 31 January 2023;
- not have been abandoned and must, in the NZFC’s opinion, have a reasonable likelihood of being completed;
- fall within one of the following categories prior to the relevant COVID-19 Event:
- Be receiving funding from the NZFC. This may be evidenced by the production having a signed funding agreement with the NZFC or having received a conditional offer for funding from the NZFC; and/or
- have registered on the NZSPG-New Zealand registration form; and/or
- have applied for a provisional certificate for NZSPG-New Zealand; or
- have been issued a provisional certificate for NZSPG–New Zealand.
How to apply
Please read the Extended Screen Recovery Fund and register your intention to apply via email on email@example.com before making your application.
Apply using the online application portal at https://funding.nzfilm.co.nz/. Search for ‘Screen Production Recovery Fund’ and click ‘New Application’. The form will take you step by step through the application process and prompt you to provide all the information required.
The Extended Screen Production Recovery Fund will run until 30 June 2023. Applications can be submitted up until 31 July 2023. The NZFC advise that you apply as soon as possible given that funding is limited.