Feature Film Production Investment supports the making of diverse New Zealand feature films that are original, exciting and culturally significant.
What we fund
Feature films – whether they are large, small, narrative, or documentary.
- Each year we invest about $12 million into feature film production and post-production, spread across around twelve projects.
- Funding is preferably for features that are at least 80 minutes long and are to be screened in cinemas.
Who can apply
New Zealand filmmakers:
- with a production-ready script or documentary treatment
- with a producer who has a proven track record
- with a credible finance plan (including additional sources of financing)
- who hold New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency
- who are domiciled in New Zealand
When to apply
Applications close at 1pm on the following deadlines:
- Monday, 20 February 2023
- Monday, 24 April 2023
- Monday, 19 June 2023
- Monday, 14 August 2023
- Monday, 9 October 2023
How to apply
Please read Feature Film Production Financing Guidelines and Terms of Trade before registering for an account to apply online at https://funding.nzfilm.co.nz/. The person applying should be your lead producer.
To be eligible for consideration for NZFC financing you must have met with the NZFC Investment team to discuss your film at least one week before the submission deadline. Register your interest here and a member of the team will get back to you to schedule a meeting.
You are welcome to contact the Investment team at any time to discuss your application. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0800 659 754.
Applications are considered at Board meetings, which are held five times a year.
You can invite team members who also have an account to collaborate on the application.
What you need
- Creative material – including a script or treatment
- Finance plan and recoupment
- Audience engagement plan
- Budget and schedule
- Key personnel - bios of key people
- Proposed Cast and HODs
- Information about any other projects you have with the Film Commission