The Documentary Development Fund (DDF) supports the development of documentary films that have the potential to become compelling cinematic releases.
What we fund
Early and advanced development of feature-length documentaries suitable for a theatrical release.
- Grants of up to $40,000 per project with $20,000 available per application.
Who can apply
New Zealand producers, writers or writer/directors of a documentary film with significant New Zealand content. Applicants can apply as an individual or as a representative of a company.
When to apply
Applications close at 1pm on the following deadlines:
- Monday, 20 March 2023
- Tuesday, 29 May 2023
- Monday, 7 August 2023
- Tuesday, 16 October 2023
How to apply
Please read Documentary Development Financing Guidelines and Documentary Development Checklist before registering for an account to apply online at https://funding.nzfilm.co.nz/.
You can invite team members who also have an account to collaborate on the application.
What you need
- Creative materials - treatment and visual materials
- Team vision - statements from key creatives
- Audience engagement plan
- Background – history of the project, and other projects you have with the Film Commission
- Budget and timeline
- Key personnel – bios for key people
- Te Rautaki Māori - If your project has Māori content, provide details of relevant consultation or engagement with Māori